Okay I feel the need to write since Mr. Mixture keeps referencing things I can put on the blog. Yes ,I am calling him out on this. I have not written recently and there is no specific reason for my lack of writing, except I have not been in the mood to write, and wait I have been trying to work on some other random projects around the house and for the family. Wonder if Mr. Mixture or Little Miss Mixture would notice if I forgot to do those other things?
Apparently Mr. Mixture is not the only one as some other family members seem to miss my post showing up in their inbox. How great it is to feel missed and loved. So here it is an update of things that have been going on in the life of “Let’s Have Mixture.”
1. What We Are Eating – yes here it is an account of all the food we have been enjoying. Even though I have not been snapping photos and writing post, I have been busy in the kitchen this month with some old favorites as well as some new meals.
Week of 10/5
Sunday – Enchiladas
Monday – Spinach Ricotta Pizza
Tuesday – Ham & Cheese Homemade Hot Pockets, Fruit Salad
Wednesday – Leftover BBQ and Pizza from our weekend festivities
Thursday – Leftover Enchiladas and Salad
Friday – Tony’s De Napoli (NYC)
Saturday – Mercer Kitchen (NYC)
Week of 10/12
Sunday – Catch (NYC)
Monday – Pumpkin Ravioli with Sauteed Spinach in Brown Butter Sauce
Tuesday – Spinach Salad with Chicken, Avocado, and Bacon
Wednesday – Scrambled Eggs and Fruit Salad
Thursday – Grilled Chicken and Pineapple Sandwich on Challah Rolls, Cauliflower with cocktail sauce
Friday – Sandwiches on the go before Homecoming Football Night
Saturday – BBQ Chicken Pizza
Week of 10/19
Sunday -Pizza @ a Camp Open House
Monday – Collard Wrap with Tuna Salad, Veggies and Naan bread with Garlic Hummus
Tuesday – Srirachi Chicken over Couscous
Wednesday – Waffles and Sautéed Maple Syrup Apples
Thursday – Little M and a sitter had Macaroni & Cheese and Veggies with Ranch Dip
Friday – Dinner out before the Lower School Football Game
Saturday -Collard and Black Bean Soup with Cornbread
Week of 10/26
Sunday – Tacos
Monday – Raisin Challah French Toast
Tuesday – Grilled Chicken and Peach Salad
Wednesday – Leftover Collard & Black Bean Soup, Cornbread and Salad
Thursday – Chicken and Shrimp Fried Rice
Friday – Halloween Pizza Party in the neighborhood
Saturday – Braised Short Ribs over Polenta, Roasted Brussel Sprouts, Apple & Blue Cheese Salad, Turtle Cake with Vanilla Ice Cream
2. New York City Eats – Recently we went on a trip to the Big Apple. Being the foodie family that we are, we are always searching for good eats when we travel. We started and ended our time in the city at a favorite – Shack Shack. Who can resist a good hormone free burger, chicken sausage, and caramel shake when it is a block and a half from your hotel.
For lunch one day we happened upon a great food court where we enjoyed sandwiches from Num Pang, based on a recommendation. The sandwiches were more than just a sandwich and definitely hit the spot. Little Miss Mixture and Mr.Mixture like cupcakes, so it was hard from them to pass up Sprinkles. The infamous cupcake shop out of Los Angeles lived up to the hype for this family. We each got a mini cupcake and they were so moist and full of flavor they left us wanting more.
What I love about NYC is how easy it is to find good food and a variety of it. Some of our meals were healthier than others, but all were very good. We enjoyed different settings from a family style italian restaurant, to a kid friendly spot, to more eclectic choices that focused on sushi and seafood tapas.
3. GOTR – I have done it, I have signed up for my first ever race. Little Miss Mixture is participating in the Girls on the Run program and it culminates with a 5K. I began training about five weeks ago to be her running buddy. Unfortunately I have learned the cooler weather is not a big motivator for me, which does not fair well since our race is in early December. Wish me luck as this is definitely a bucket list item.
4. Girls Rock – Little Miss Mixture got to celebrate her birthday with several different groups of people in her life. She took cupcakes to school, we had a family gathering, and she had a sleepover. The one cake she wanted was a cookie cake for the family celebration. She was very specific on what she wanted, so we placed an order. On the day of her birthday, we were less than thrilled with the purchased cake.
Luckily I had all the necessary things at home from making cupcakes to turn this not so great creation into one that did in fact rock. Honestly though regardless of how it looked. It is hard to go wrong with a chocolate chip cookie cake.
5. Package sizes – I try not use use a lot of processed products, but there are a couple of recipes I find it necessary. We have a favorite cake that calls for Devils food cake mix and caramels. Last year I noticed the size of the cake mix box had decreased based on the recipe. This year I decided to give my hand a try and make the cake from scratch, but I still needed the caramels. I have always used Kraft and I like the bits that can be found seasonally, but I was unable to locate them. I grabbed a bag of the individual wrapped squares as the recipe simple stated one 14oz package, but as I started at a bowl that looked low in volume, I realized the current bag size is 11oz. I cannot recall what the cost of the bag used to be, but I am sure it is more now and you get less. Be careful during this baking season as you will need to purchase more packages to make sure your recipes came out correctly.
On other note two stores in the same shopping center are selling this package at different prices. One local based large chain grocery store seems to think it is worth $.75 more than another major retailer. #thingsthatannoyme The change has even confused one of the retailers in their marketing. Look closely here they are selling a 13oz package, but the actual picture shows differently.
6. Halloween candy while this sits in the pantry and probably gets untouched.
I am scanning recipes on how to use the candy in a way it may get consumed or just not tossed in 6-8 months. Here Are some great ideas I pinned this weekend. I also love the idea of using the candy in non edible ways – science experiment, decorate gingerbread houses.
I hope you enjoyed catching up on what Let’s Have Mixture did throughout the month of October. I will try and post more this month as we continue to enjoy fall and its flavors.