I love pizza and creating unique and different pizzas has been a passion for some time. I usually think about what will go on the pizza or what type I will make, but many times I just find small amounts of vegetables and foods that need to be eaten and toss them onto the pizza dough. Sometimes this is how the best recipes are created.
About 15 years ago, I had my first pesto based pizza. My first pesto pizza was more basic than this as I remember it had mushrooms and possibly tomatoes. The Shrimp Pesto Pizza is one I have been making in our house for a while. I began making my own pizza years ago with the pre made doughs that could be purchased such as Boboli and Mama Mary’s. Nowadays I purchase a pre made dough at Trader Joe’s, Earthfare, or Whole Foods. On occasion I have made my own dough, but I would rather focus on the toppings to make the pizza my own than the dough, and who has time to make the dough fresh each time they want pizza.
Shrimp Pesto Pizza
1 pre made pizza dough, or equivalent recipe ready to use
1/2 cup Pesto
1/2 cup peppers, chopped (orange, yellow, red or a combination)
6 mushrooms, coarsely chopped or sliced
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup pineapple
1 cup shrimp, precooked and cleaned
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Your pizza dough will cook best on a hot pizza stone. I preheat oven for about 30 minutes with the pizza stone in it. Then remove stone once your dough is rolled and ready to pre bake.
2. . Sauté pepper, mushrooms, and onions in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and pineapple continue until lightly golden on edges.
3. While toppings are being sautéed. Roll out pizza dough and precook on pizza stone In a 425 degree oven until it begins to brown in spots.
4. Remove pizza dough from oven and spread about 1/2 cup pesto sauce on dough. Spread sautéed toppings evenly over pizza dough. And cover with cheese.
5. Return to oven and cook about 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starts to bubble. Allow to cool for a minute. Slice and enjoy.
Last Friday I had the time to sauté the toppings, but this pizza is just as tasty with raw veggies as well.
Shrimp Pesto Pizza This link will allow you to print the recipe without the entire post.
Want to best and freshest Pesto – use this easy to make recipe.