Every now and then you need a grown up type of dessert. Just a bite of something that mixes sweet and saucy. Rum balls are that for me. They are that one bite wonder that you can never eat just one of. I am not someone who drinks rum, or at least very often. There may be a couple of drinks I enjoy most likely with a little umbrella in them while I relax on the beach or poolside, but I am not likely to mix something up. However each time I have a rum ball or a rum cordial there is a taste or that little burn that I enjoy. Maybe if there was a chocolate rum drink I would take the time to make it.
This recipe could not be easier and it is great for parties and get togethers.
All you need is stale brownies. WHAT! I know what you are thinking who has stale brownies. No one in their right mind, but the key is make a double batch of brownies. That way you can enjoy some and have ample to make your rum balls ahead of time.
8oz stale brownies, crumbled
3oz. dark rum
4oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- In a medium size mixing bowl, pour rum over the crumbled brownies and allow to soak for 2 minutes.
- Scoop mixture with a teaspoon onto a wax paper lined baking sheet or plate. Place in the freezer for about 20 minutes to firm up.
- Remove from freezer and roll into smooth balls approximately 1 inch in size.
- Return to freezer to set.
- Melt 4oz chocolate in a double boiler or using the microwave method. Remove brownie balls from freezer and gently roll them around in the melted chocolate to coat completely. As you roll each one place it on a baking sheet or plate with a clean piece of wax paper or parchment paper.
- The chocolate will firm up on its own but you can place the baking sheet or plate in the refrigerator to set more quickly.
- When ready to serve set out and dust the tops with cooca powder or powder sugar for a pretty display.
These are a great make ahead as you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3- 5 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Adapted from a recipe found on allrecipes.com