It is here the official start of the summer season.
I hope everyone is celebrating and has enjoyed time with family and friends over this long weekend. We did have some friends over for dinner one evening and I had planned to sit by the pool and enjoy the weekend the start of summer, but instead I had some last minute travel plans. While I will be taking the week off from my own kitchen, here is what we had this week.
1. What we ate May 19 – 24, 2014
Monday – MEATLESS MONDAY – Zucchini Feta Walnut Cakes over greens
Tuesday – Breakfast for Dinner with fruit salad
Wednesday – Ceasar Salad with Grilled Chicken
Thursday – Tortellini with Snap Pea and Pesto
Friday – Grilled Squash, Red Pepper & Pizza
Saturday – Flank Steak, Grilled Radicchio & Fennel, Grilled Corn Salad
2. My recipe Must Make List – A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Chicken Broccoli Mac with Bacon. In the post, I discussed how Little Miss Mixture took the liberty of going through an entire magazine and marking all the recipes she wanted to try. So I took this as a challenge as I am a list maker. Over the years I have made many list of meal ideas, recipe try list, etc. Well I decided to formalize her list and combine it with a couple of my own I found stashed away in my files. You can find my Must Try List on this page. Periodically as we try new recipes I will post them and provide our comments and thoughts along with the recipe.
3. Top food trends of 2014 – recently I have been reading different articles online and I love the random “shares” that appear on my Facebook news feed regarding 10 best or 10 worst … Earlier this year the National Restaurant Association indicated the Top 5 and Top 10 trends in food as well as Top 5 alcohol. All the list included items such as locally sourced, artisan, sustainable. Thus bringing awareness to our health and eating differently. Yet the Huffington post had this the other day. Where are these trends taking place?
4. Happy 1 year Anniversary to me and having a Vitamix. I can honestly say I have enjoyed it. Here are some of the recipes I have made with it recently.
I will be posting some of my favorite Vitamix recipes in the next few weeks.
5. Stocking Up – As the farmers markets are getting in full swing and the local fruit and vegetables are plentiful. Do not forget to buy ahead. Purchase more than you can eat and properly wash and freeze it so that you can enjoy fresh local food throughout the year. I am not a big freezer person, but I do find it beneficial in healthy eating to stock up on fruits and vegetables. Here is a link to “how to freeze” . The link references blueberries but I have found this method works well with strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and okra.
Have a great week and enjoy. Summer is almost here!