Pretzel Crusted Chicken is one of those recipes that I pulled from a magazine several years back. I grew up in the south and though I have come to love many southern things – fried okra, country music, and sweet tea- I have never had a love for fried chicken. I enjoy chicken tenders and have always been someone who would toss them into a salad, or order the salad that has them atop rather than grilled chicken for a change, but fried chicken and I are not a perfect match. I have had some great fried chicken, but there is just no love affair there.
However in the early days of making meals for Little Miss Mixture, I never thought to serve kid food, but obviously some flavors and recipes may be better accepted than others. The recipe I adapted this from caught my eye. It first appeared in a Food and Wine magazine. I was not looking for a recipe for Little Miss Mixture, but I figured the combination of flavors might be fun. It was a hit from the beginning and has become one of her favorites. In fact this was what she requested for her “out of school celebration meal.”
Pretzel Crusted Chicken
1/2 pound pretzels
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup whole-grain mustard
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3-4 skinless, boneless chicken breast, pounded to 1/4 -1/3″ thick (tenders could be substituted)
1.Preheat the oven to 400°.
2. In a food processor, pulse the pretzels until coarsely ground; you should have coarse chunks and fine crumbs. Transfer to a large, shallow bowl.
3. Wipe out the food processor. Add the oil, whole-grain and Dijon mustards, water and vinegar and process until smooth. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
4. Pour half of the dressing into a large shallow bowl, add the chicken breasts and turn to coat. Dredge the chicken in the pretzel crumbs and transfer to a rack set over a rimmed baking sheet.
5. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Serve the chicken and provide the remaining mustard dressing on the side as desired.
Printer Friendly Version Pretzel Crusted Chicken
* this recipe was adapted from Mustard-Baked Chicken with Pretzel Crust.
*top photo courtesy of therootcellarsgarden.com