Happy Monday! I am hopeful this week will be a little less hectic than the last. Though I will admit it is not starting off that way.
This past weekend, Little Miss Mixture and I finally got to tag along on a business trip. This is the first time in 6 years and we enjoyed ourselves. Mr. Mixture needed to be in Nashville and aside from being in country music heaven, it was old stomping ground so we got to catch up with friends. We had a busy but fun weekend which was definitely needed after having the house full of workman the first part of the week. It was also a great getaway to start the summer.
As most of you have probably experienced at least once, when the kitchen and other rooms get disrupted so does your entire week which includes shopping and meal preparation in addition to where you eat. Thank goodness for tv tables and bar stools.
In preparing for the busy week, I decided to have our true father’s day meal on Saturday and something more simple on Sunday. Well Sunday worked out well. Saturday all good plans can be foiled and the skill of adapting is necessary. The bulk of the meal was to be grilled on our new Weber grill; however part way through the preparation Mr. Mixture noticed a fire in the drip pan of the grill. Needless to say our food was partially cooked but to ashy to eat.
1. What we are Eating June 14 – June 20th
Sunday – Swiss Chard & Ricotta Pizza
Monday – Swim Meet (picnic food sandwiches & salads)
Tuesday – Chard, Yellow Squash, and Green Onion Flatbread
Wednesday – Leftover pizza, flatbread, and sandwich quesadilla for Little Miss Mixture using some ham rather than turkey.
Thursday & Friday – traveling
2. Nashville, TN – A quick recap of some of the food related highlights of our trip to Music city. Little Miss Mixture and I enjoyed appetizers at Merchants. It was a perfect light meal after a late day sweet treat. Your experience starts with the cutest container of popcorn. I am not a huge popcorn fan, but it was hard to not enjoy this perfectly seasoned not even greasy popcorn.
Our apps included Fried Green Tomatoes served along side pimento cheese. Another unique way to sneak pimento cheese into an appetizer. Adding this to my list of ways to enjoy the southern spread. We also had light and creamy deviled eggs that were served atop spicy pickles.
On our own Friday morning, Little Miss mixture and I had a lovely breakfast on Nashville’s east side at Marche. It was a quaint french style cafe. Little Miss Mixture had croissant french toast with a side of bacon, because she loves bacon and I had a bowl of house made granola. It was a perfect way to start our day.
One evening we grabbed a quick bite at a local burger and beer hall called the Pharmacy. The meal was good, but I think standout item that you do not find many places was the creamsicle soda. It was a no phosphate orange soda with vanilla syrup and absolutely tasted like a creamsicle. Little Miss Mixture loved it. The funnier part I am not sure she has had a real creamsicle so we may have to have one before the summer is over.
3. The home of cast iron in South Pittsburg, TN. Did you know there is a National Cornbread Festival every April. How much fun would that be? I have wanted to go since we lived in TN, but the timing never worked out, so on our return trip home Mr. Mixture appeased my love for random cooking things and stopped in South Pittsburg, TN. home of the Lodge factory. Though the factory was not open the store had an amazing selection of cast iron pots and accessories. I am looking forward to trying out my new 6″ skillet for indoor s’mores.
4. National Food Holidays – June has a lot of great random National celebration days. However I have been too busy trying to find a spot in the house to eat or packing meals for swim meets to indulge in them. Not that I need an excuse but it sure makes one feel better when randomly having onions rings and an eclair that I am in fact celebrating a holiday. Since I missed National Vanilla Milkshake day, National Lobster Day, and National Eclair day just to name a few, I am marking my calendar for next year already in the hopes that summer will feel more relaxing. In the meantime I am looking forward to July when I hope to celebrate national ice cream month!
5. Responsibility – I have decided this summer we would work on responsibilities. With our recent long weekend it was a great time to let Little Miss Mixture pack for herself. She usually does, but I check so as not to forget things. I did not check her clothing bag this time and I have to say she did better than I did. She was upset having forgotten a pair of sandals, which of course matched a couple outfits better than her trustworthy keens, but at least she remembered socks. I actually had to borrow her socks to wear with my cowboy boots. Who goes to Nashville without their boots? I was actually thankful that she is catching up in size for her socks were a perfect fit.
Thinking about responsibility I love these random signs I found, maybe I need to make a necklace and just wear them to help remind everyone in the house. Oh a girl can dream…