Happy Monday. I hope everyone had a nice long weekend filled with good food, friends, and some fireworks. I am still trying to figure out where the month of June went because usually by this point in the summer I am growing tired of the pool routine. Yet this year it has not yet even become a routine. Does Little Miss Mixture feel the summer is flying by? Or is this a grown up thing? The older we get the faster time seems to fly.
1. What we are Eating (June 29 – July 5).
Sunday – Grilled Peaches & Chicken Salad
Monday – Swim Meet Banquet
Tuesday – Mixed Greens, Cherries & Goat Cheese Salad (Little Miss Mixtures creation of ingredients) topped with my Go TO Balsamic Vinaigrette and homemade croutons, made out of brioche rolls and butter.
Wednesday – Cold Plate with Pasta Salad, Veggies, Cheese & Salami
Thursday – Salad of Leftovers. It really is crazy what a great salad can be tossed together by trying to finish up vegetables and items in the refrigerator.
Friday – 4th of July Party with friends. We enjoyed Sugar Cookies Little Miss Mixture made to celebrate America’s Birthday.
These became :
Saturday – Grilled Sockeye Salmon, Black Bean & Corn Salad, Roasted Beets & watermelon
2. Recipe Must Make List – I have noticed in the last few weeks I have completely forgotten our must try list as far as making new meals. I have not forgotten to add more recipes. It is not that I am avoiding new recipes, but I find salads, and anything tossed on the grill just works better on summer nights. I plan to start incorporating more of the recipes in the next few weeks. In the meantime I am enjoying no recipe meals with lots of fresh ingredients.
3. Breakfast – Here is another picture Little Miss Mixture took of a breakfast she made for herself this week. It was an interesting combination – dry cereal, dried apricots, and fresh cherries. She fixed it, ate it and enjoyed it, so I am not complaining.
4. Celebrating the 4th – Thankfully Arthur did not have an impact on our holiday. I guess that is one benefit of being a landlocked city. We did get a nice summer Thunderstorm which delayed the firework display we went to see on Thursday evening. But I found another great reason to own an SUV. It may have been raining, but I sat in the comfort of the back of my car and watched a nice display of fireworks. On 4th of July, we stayed in the comfort of our neighborhood to celebrate with friends and enjoy another great fireworks display.
5. Happy Birthday Truffles – The youngest and newest addition to our family has a birthday this week. If her recent behavior of rising very early to play and running away every time I approach her continues, I am not sure I want a 1 year old dog. Bring back that docile little puppy.
We celebrated by making her some Dog Friendly Cupcakes. They were based upon this recipe with a couple variations.
Happy Monday and here is to another week of good food and fun!