August – I cannot believe it is the beginning of August already. If you live on the East coast you have probably experienced the taste of fall like weather. Though fall is one of my favorite times of the year. I am not ready for it and I am not ready for the cooler weather. Mid to upper 80’s I would be happy, but barely hitting 70 for a high. NO! I want more days of sitting by the pool flipping through magazines and watching Little Miss Mixture swim. As much as I like fall and the weather has felt nice, I want to enjoy the beauty of summer and that is hard with overcast skies rain and cooler temperatures. Here is how we enjoyed our week, regardless of the weather.
1. Busy Season – August is the start of what I refer to as busy season in our family, and it has started already. Between now and the end of the year we have 8 Birthdays and 3 Anniversaries, not to mention the start of school, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas. Between new routines, fall activities, decorating for the holidays, and celebrating everyone and everything, it seems like a whirlwind when nothing gets done- at least projects and things. Each year I say I will start early to prepare and be organized, stay tuned to see how this year goes. What are some of the hot new gifts going to be for kids and adults?
2. What We Are Eating (July 27 – August 2)
Sunday – Steak, Grilled Corn Salad, Arugula with Grilled Peaches
Monday – Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce, a perfect Meatless Monday meal
Tuesday – Steak, Watermelon, Corn Salad
Wednesday – Mixed Greens, Grilled Chicken & Peaches Salad
Thursday – Sausage, Pepperoni, & Pepper Pizza
Friday – Dinner out at local Mexican Restaurant
Saturday – Grilled Salmon, Grilled Potatoes & Onions, Arugula Salad with Grilled Peaches
3. Websites – Take a note I have new bling on my webpage. I have been blogging for over four months now, so the Nutrition Network has added my blog to their registry. This is a listing of dietitians that blog.
4. Ice Cream for Breakfast – Several years ago after peach picking, I made this recipe. It is simple, fresh, and good for you. With all our peaches this week, I decided to make a batch and Little Miss Mixture was so excited when I let her enjoy peach sorbet for breakfast.
5. Entertaining – When I have guests over for dinner and I entertain, I am one of those people who puts out multiple pick me up type foods. I typically make a couple things, but also pick some items up. Here are some of the ones we enjoyed recently. Havarti with dill, Various types of Olives, and Dried Okra – If you have not already tried some, do. It is slightly sweet and crunchy and a little bit addictive. What are some of your favorite appetizers?
6. Sunday Fun Around the City – This is how we spent our Sunday afternoon, visiting some local places and enjoying a flights of beer. Have you ever had A Road to Nowhere or a Baby Maker . I prefer darker beers but I will try different and unique flavored ones. One of my favorites is Blueberry Beer.
This weekend I found a lighter beer that I enjoyed Jalapeño Pale Ale from Birdsong Brewery.
Our fun in the city ended with a refreshing treat from another local merchant. King of Pops. @KingofPopsCLT you definitely did Blueberry Cobbler right.
We will be back for more of some of these local treats.
Stay Tuned for more reviews of local places we visit and the food we are eating.