We are one week into our new school and it seems as if rather than having more time on my hands, I am in a complete whirlwind. I am sure it will settle down, but it may take a few weeks as there is so much going on with parent meetings at school, new after school activity schedules to get accustom to, etc. Big sigh of relief. The first week went well and I am sure by February I will find extra time on my hands since I am sure to get accustom to the new routine and then realize I am on a time crunch for getting organized for family birthdays and holidays. Thankfully I had a big container of mixture to help get us through the busy week.
1. What We Are Eating ( August 17 – August 23)
Sunday – Tuna Salad Cold Plate, Vegetables a & dip, Fruit
Monday – Lemon Chicken, Sautéed Squash & Fennel, Cottage Cheese & Tomato Salad
Tuesday – Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas
Wednesday – Bacon Cheddar Burger Patties, Grilled Okra, Watermelon, & Pickles
Thursday – Ladies Night for me, Mr. Mixture & LIttle Miss Mixture had Tuna Melts on Naan Bread, Vegetables & Dip
Friday – Tomato Mozzarella Salad, Shrimp Scampi over Whole Wheat Angel Hair
Saturday – Cheese & Red Pepper Nachos
2. Pickles – A couple of weeks ago I saw this post on Smitten Kitchen. I grew up eating cucumbers marinated in a vinegar type solution, but I never thought of them as pickled. Little Miss Mixture loves pickles but I am not a fan of most of the store bought ones anymore. I gave this recipe a try, cutting it in half and using less salt. The revised post on smitten kitchen now indicates less salt. These are so easy and so good.
3. Back to School Party – Since Little Miss Mixture entered Kindergarten I have had a back to school party for her class. It is a simple get together just before school starts. This year I swapped out the juice boxes and muffins for smoothies to accompany the doughnuts and fruit. The plastic BPA free bottles I found at shopsweetlulu.com worked perfectly . I had three smoothies Peachy Watermelon, Tinkerbell (my version with coconut milk and fresh pineapple), and a Berry Blast.
4. Hummus – I have a couple tried and true hummus recipes that I have for years. However a lot of times I just create them as I go based on herbs I have in the refrigerator or my garden barrels. Little Miss Mixture asked for hummus and carrots for snack at school this week. Yes I am smiling as I love some of the healthy items she has asked for and you better believe I will get some made before tomorrow. This is a great chart for ideas and ratios to make different hummus flavors.
5. Projects – I am enjoying this whole blog thing, but like other things it is a hobby and a project to me. As the new school year is beginning and the rush of the holiday season starts, I just realized I am really behind on my other projects. How can it be almost a year since our big birthday trip for Little Miss Mixture? Worse yet how is it I have not made the picture book yet. Anyway as I will continue to blog and make my readers aware of What we are eating and recipes worth trying, but I am going to have to get back on track with other projects before another busy season passes me by. I would love to hear from my readers as to what really interest you. Breakfast food, Snacks, School Lunch ideas, Weeknight Dinners, Desserts.