Good Morning, though it feels as if it should be afternoon already as I have been up for hours. Typically I wake fairly early but today it was more like the middle of the night. I was being a good daughter though and drove my parents to the airport for an early morning flight. They are off on another fun adventure.
I on the other hand have only mentally dreamed of my next adventure, as we seem to go in spurts with our travel and right now it is a low. My list of places I want to visit and revisit is quite long, but finding the time and the funds is the hard part. I hope to be able to enjoy traveling later in life as several members of my family have. There are so many places to see near and far.
I think enjoying travel even further enhanced when you enjoy food. When you have an adventurous palate, you are able to learn more about the culture of places through all your senses, helping to make memories that are not just in photographs.
This weekend we took time to enjoy our local culture. I love picking my own fresh fruit. I think it is a fun family outing and a great experience for everyone. I cannot be certain, but I think Little Miss Mixture enjoys apples and peaches more since she has learned about the different varieties and picked them herself.
1. What we are Eating ( July 20 – July 26)
Sunday – Summer Tomato Soup & Fancy Grilled Cheese, similar to this
Monday – Zucchini Fattoush
Tuesday – Grilled Peach & Arugula Pizza
Wednesday – Tuna Melts, Chickpea & Parsley Salad, Minted Watermelon & Cantaloupe salad
Friday – Date Night @ a local farm to table restaurant
Saturday – Ice Cream
2. Pick Your Own Fruit – We are lucky enough to live in an area where peach orchards are fairly abundant. A short 45 minute drive and we were at an orchard that had peaches and blueberries. We always seem to over do it, when we visit orchards, but I guess there are worse things.
You can be assured there will be some upcoming post that include peaches and blueberries. I am thinking of adapting this, and there are some favorites such as this that are sure to show up in our menu.
3. Okra – Remember last week I told you about the okra we had in our barrels. Well I was able to pick three small okra this week and we each enjoyed a piece atop our salmon on Thursday evening. I don’t see us getting enough for this, but it is still nice to have a piece or two from our own backyard.
4. Ice Cream for Dinner – YES you read that correctly. As I have stated many times, I am a dietitian and I know what is healthy and what is not as good for you. However all food fits and I believe it is okay to splurge and make a good memory. Check it off the bucket list for Summer 2014. We had Ice Cream sundaes for dinner and we enjoyed it. This is not a routine thing and if anyone was still hungry, we had fruit salad. But it was fun and what better way to celebrate National Ice Cream Month than to put Ice Cream in the spotlight and make it a meal.
5. Let’s Have Mixture has been cooking – I have found it hard to stay focused on menus and trying to recipes recently. Maybe it is the lack of routine that summer brings, or maybe I have just gotten to caught up in simple meals that I can throw together based on farmer market pick ups. Whatever the case this past week, I seemed to have gotten back on track. I got creative and made a new pizza, which I will be posting this week. I also pulled together a dinner off our Recipe Must Make List. Look for both of these post soon. Here are some other things I am thinking about now that we have so many peaches and blueberries.
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce (Two Peas & Their Pod)
Blueberry Muffins (Let’s Have Mixture 6/11/2014)
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie (Iowa Girl Eats)
Peach Sorbet (100 Days of Real Food)
Enjoy the last few days of July and be sure to stay cool by celebrating National Ice Cream Month!